Department Summary

The Planning & Zoning Department reviews land use for the unincorporated areas of Saline County, issues building permits for all construction projects, and maintains the county’s comprehensive plan. To view the Saline County Codes click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a building permit?
You need to apply for a building permit if you’re going to build a new structure that is larger than 10’ by 12’, if you’re going to change the footprint or roofline of a building, or if you’re remodeling and going to improve the value of the structure by 50% or more.
Is this property in the floodplain or does it have a LOMA (Letter of Map Amendment)?
We have maps that show the current flood plain, but we only have some of the county’s LOMAs on hand. You can go to the FEMA Flood Map Service Center online, enter an address or place, and search for the floodplain/LOMA status of a property.
Can I give you my credit card number and pay for this while we’re on the phone?
There is a 2.5% fee when you pay for our services with a credit or debit card. We can either take your information over the phone or you can respond to the payment email from our cloud-based system, GovBuilt, when we email you an invoice.
What are the required setbacks for my project?
Setbacks vary depending on the Zoning of the particular property and the purpose of the proposed change/building. Please call the Planning & Zoning Office for your property’s setback requirements.
What rural water department do I need to call to get service?
If you go to the saline County website, click on departments then click on GIS, there is a map of Rural Water Districts that you may view to find out which district your property is in or near. You can even find contact information for each district by clicking on “System Directory” in the information box about that district.
When is a building permit needed?

  • All new construction, placement, or replacement of dwelling structures; 
  • All accessory structures over 120 feet; 
  • All residential additions

How can structures be flood-proofed?

  • Elevate building site;
  • Architectural Design

Will I have to pay flood insurance?

  • No, if the building site is not located in the 100-year floodplain (1% chance of flooding per year). 
  • Yes, if the building site is located in the 100-year floodplain (1% chance of flooding per year). 
  • No, if a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) is issued. 

Is every parcel in the county eligible for a Single Family Residential building permit?

  • Yes, legal agriculture split;
  • Yes, original parcel;
  • Yes, platted lot;
  • Yes, legal platted lot split;
  • No, illegal second split

What are the regulatory requirements for new home construction?

  • Must meet setback requirements (P&Z);
  • Entrance permits (Public Works);
  • Proof of water (RWD or Health);
  • Percolation Test (Health);
  • Flood-proofing (P&Z)

Meet The Staff

Tim Hamilton

Planning and Zoning Administrator

(785) 309-5813

Coralee Murphy

Administrative Office Specialist

(785) 309-5813


229 North 9th 
Salina, KS 67401
(785) 309-5813
Hours: 8 AM - 4 PM Monday - Friday
Closed Weekends & Holidays
Contact Us

Board Meetings