Frequently Asked Questions


The Treasurers Office offers a monthly payment program. There is a one time $10 set up charge and each transaction will cost $1.00 each in addition to your monthly payment. The most common practice for this program is to make future payments prior to the new tax year posting. If your first half tax is not paid by December 20 you will be assessed a penality. Statements that are not fully paid by August 2 will be assessed an additional $16 publication fee and will be published in the Salina Journal (K.S.A.  79-2004)

The Treasurer's Office accepts Cash, Checks, Money Orders, and Credit Cards. Since our credit card system goes through the State of Kansas (Kanpay System) there is a 2.5% additional charge for all credit and debit cards.

Tax statements are mailed during the month of November for the current year. The first half payment is due by December 20th and the second half payment is due by May 10th of the following year. 

There are several methods available for paying your taxes. Please note will not allow you to make any payments past December 20th or May 10th. Please contact our office for further assistance.

Pay online using electronic check, debit or credit cards. The tax statement number and taxpayer id number are required to pay online.  This information is on the top left corner of your tax statement. Go to the following website to access the State of Kanas tax payment site to pay your taxes online www.kans  

Mail in a check or money order with the appropriate remittance stub from your tax statement. There is a return envelope included with your tax statement. To have a receipt mailed back, please check the appropriate box on the remittance stub.

Hand deliver check, money order or cash to our office at 300 W. Ash, Room 214, Salina, KS. Please bring the appropriate remittance stub from your tax statement with you to the office.

Use a debit or credit card. There are additional fees for using a debit or credit card. The fee is charged by the credit card vendor and is added to the total of your tax transactions. VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Discover cards are accepted. Please bring the appropriate remittance stub with you to the office.

 If you have any questions, please call our office at 785-309-5860 or email the Treasurer, Jim Dubois, from our Contact Us page.

No, all vehicle transactions can be done at the tag office which is located in room 210 at the City-County Building or at 2310 Planet Ave.

Anybody who fails to pay their first half property tax by December 20th will be subject to penality and interest under K.S.A. 79-2004a. The property owner will also be responsible for the payment of the whole tax. 

Under K.S.A. 79-309 any person(s) who had owned the personal property as of January 1 during the current tax year is responsible for that years whole tax. If the property was sold prior to the new tax year, it is the owners responsibilty to inform the County Appraisers Office so the property could be removed before the upcoming tax year. 

Unclaimed property consists of many types of intangible personal property held by the State that has been unclaimed by its rightful owner. Common types of unclaimed property include: 

  • Inactive savings and checking accounts
  • Uncashed checks
  • Stock shared, bond, and dividend checks
  • Insurance proceeds
  • Wages
  • Mineral royalties 
  • Utility deposits
  • Safe deposit box contents

All businesses, as well as State and local governments, who have held properties for a specified time and were not able to locate the rightful owner, notify the State of unclaimed property.

Once unclaimed property is turned over to the State the State serves as a permanent custodian of the property until the rightful owner is found.  All money is held in the State general fund for the benefit of all citizens of Kansas.

The State Treasurer is committed to actively seeking the rightful owners of unclaimed property by public notice and special events, such as television telethons.

No fees are assessed to reclaim unclaimed property.  If the State is holding your property, you do not have to pay a fee or service charge to reclaim it.  If you are contacted by any individual or firm offering to return unclaimed property to you for a fee, be aware that you can claim the property yourself directly from the State Treasurer at no charge to anyone.

You may research unclaimed property for yourself or a family member by doing one of the following: 

  • Visit the State Treasurer's website at:
  • Call the State at 1-800-432-0386
  • Or write to: Kansas State Treasurer at Unclaimed Property Division, 900 SW Jackson, Suite 201 Topeka, KS 66612-0386