Frequently Asked Questions

Planning and Zoning Questions

There is a 2.5% fee when you pay for our services with a credit or debit card. We can either take your information over the phone or you can respond to the payment email from our cloud-based system, GovBuilt, when we email you an invoice.
You need to apply for a building permit if you’re going to build a new structure that is larger than 10’ by 12’, if you’re going to change the footprint or roofline of a building, or if you’re remodeling and going to improve the value of the structure by 50% or more.

  • Elevate building site;
  • Architectural Design

  • Yes, legal agriculture split;
  • Yes, original parcel;
  • Yes, platted lot;
  • Yes, legal platted lot split;
  • No, illegal second split

We have maps that show the current flood plain, but we only have some of the county’s LOMAs on hand. You can go to the FEMA Flood Map Service Center online, enter an address or place, and search for the floodplain/LOMA status of a property.

  • Must meet setback requirements (P&Z);
  • Entrance permits (Public Works);
  • Proof of water (RWD or Health);
  • Percolation Test (Health);
  • Flood-proofing (P&Z)

Setbacks vary depending on the Zoning of the particular property and the purpose of the proposed change/building. Please call the Planning & Zoning Office for your property’s setback requirements.
If you go to the saline County website, click on departments then click on GIS, there is a map of Rural Water Districts that you may view to find out which district your property is in or near. You can even find contact information for each district by clicking on “System Directory” in the information box about that district.

  • All new construction, placement, or replacement of dwelling structures; 
  • All accessory structures over 120 feet; 
  • All residential additions

  • No, if the building site is not located in the 100-year floodplain (1% chance of flooding per year). 
  • Yes, if the building site is located in the 100-year floodplain (1% chance of flooding per year). 
  • No, if a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) is issued. 

Sheriff Office

We have an online service that will allow for you to deposit funds to an inmate’s account. Visit the website here.
You’ll need the following information:

  • Inmate’s name
  • Birth date
  • Inmate number
  • Credit or Debit card

You can use our new feature ‘No Wait Inside Scheduler’ that will allow you to schedule an appointment online to get your VIN inspection.

You can call our administrative office at (785) 826-6500. We’re currently working on creating a digital incident report online that will allow for you to report online. We’ll share when this feature is available to the public.

Our current jail visitation hours are Monday - Friday from 9 am - 6 pm. 

Using our records and information request form here. You can also call our administrative office at (785) 826-6500.

Road and Bridge

No, the ditch is for road drainage purposes. Trees are not to be planted in the right of way.

Call 785-823-6527 and speak to the County Engineer.
Call 785-826-6527 and Speak with the Road Superintendent.
Call 785-826-6527 and speak with the Assistant Road Superintendent.

In some instances, this may be true. More often than not, it is more of a function of the type of tire used to travel a gravel road. Saline County’s largest aggregate size is 1 ¼ inches. Rock on gravel covered roads is made of crushed quarry rock. It is sharp and jagged and causes more wear to standard tires than almost any other driving surface. Tires designed for the highway typically do not fare well on gravel roads. Slowing down and proper inflation will extend the life of these tires.

Sand alone, as a road aggregate, does not have the structural stability to hold up under the traffic counts and severe loading of agricultural equipment, delivery trucks, trash trucks and school buses without being untravellable in inclement weather. The aggregate size and materials selected by Saline County are a combination of larger and progressively smaller aggregates. This is the most cost-effective material with the best performance based on experience, price, and availability of materials. It meets a broad range of needs for all users.

Light off road all-terrain tires are recommended. All-terrain tires have sufficient tread pattern to bite into the softer gravel road. They also have stiffer sidewalls and compound that is both chip and cut resistant. Most of them are also puncture resistant, which is another big advantage when compared to light highway tires.

There is also a certain amount of trash and debris on the gravel roads such as iron, nails, pipe and just about anything Agriculture or Residential related. The County has a magnet that can be requested to run over any section of road by calling 785-826-6527.

When the roadway is wet or damp, slow down and drive in the loose gravel. This will embed the gravel into the underlying soil and compact the surface.

Pulling shoulders is a maintenance procedure that takes place throughout the year, mostly in the early spring on gravel roads and in the fall on the paved roads. It is a process in which the motors grader travel down all the roads removing the high sods from the shoulders roads.  When the shoulders of a road are to high and water sits on the traveled roadway, the BCRC pulls the high shoulders to allow the water to drain in properly into the ditches.   On gravel roads the shoulders are pulled into the road and mixed back into the road with the existing gravel.  Pulling shoulders does not always remove all of the water from the roadway, but it allows many roads to drain properly and prevent further damage to the road.

Call 785-826-6527 and speak with the County Engineer. Work within the Right of Way requires a permit that can be obtained from his office.
Do not shovel or push it out into the roadway or across the road into the ditch. It may create a hazard for someone else and a liability for you.

Asphalt roads are cleared first, then gravel roads, then earth roads.

Trees within the right of way are a hazard to the traveling public. Tree limbs shade the travel way and do not allow the sun to dry the road or melt the ice. They also create line of sight hazards.

The cutter head is the safest, most efficient and cost effective way to eliminate this hazard. The trees will grow back.

Right of ways are a clear zone for the safety of the traveling public. The right of way easements are for road purposes. Breaking the vegetation and tilling the soil allows the sediment from runoff to plug the culverts.

The process you are referring to is sealcoating which most road agencies in Kansas use as a relatively low cost method of preserving existing pavement. The tar is actually an emulsion of water and liquid asphalt which penetrates and seals small cracks in the existing pavement. Sealing these cracks on a regular basis prevents water from seeping into and softening the base of the road and over time causing potholes to form. The rock chips that we use for cover material sticks to the emulsion and, after rolling and sweeping, provides a slightly roughened skid resistant surface to improve safety. Although sealcoating can preserve and extend the life of the pavement, it is only a surface treatment and does not fill any existing bumps, holes, or irregularities and thus does not improve the ride quality. For this reason it is important to apply sealcoat to a road BEFORE this deterioration occurs, which leads us to sealcoat roads that are in generally good condition rather than waiting for them to deteriorate to the point that extensive patching is necessary. 

Washboards are caused by the repeated small horizontal forces from vehicle tires interacting with the surface of the road. The most common location for washboards is near intersetions where traffic frequently starts and stops.

District Court

Yes, If you choose to file a case without an attorney, you may do so, but the Clerk’s Office will NOT be allowed to assist you beyond procedural questions.
Payments in most cases may be made at the Clerk of the District Court Office. However, some cases are able to pay online at, while other cases may have been turned over to debt collection. If unsure of how to make a payment, please call the Clerk of the District Court Office at (785) 309-5831 and we can assist you.

One of two ways to file:
• The Clerk of the District Court Office (Office hours 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM)

Senior Services

The Subsidized program is through the North Central Flint Hills Area Agency on Aging (NCFHAAA).

245 N. 9th Street
Salina, KS 67401

Meals On Wheels
The NCFHAAA will complete an assessment for Meals On Wheels recipients. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Congregate (Dining Room)
Senior Services staff or NCFHAAA staff will assist you in completing an assessment.

Call Senior Services and staff will assist you to help determine what program, Subsidized or Unsubsidized or other food programs you would qualify for.
Senior Services
245 N. 9th Street
Salina, KS 67401
(785) 823-7555

Call or come to the Senior Center and staff will assist you. We love our volunteers. This program would not be possible without our volunteers.

The menu can be found on this website, or you can call Senior Services at 785-827-9818.

Food options
• Salad bar
• Different entrées on Tuesday and Wednesday
• Soup choice on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
• Drink is included

There are several options based on age.

Are you 60 years of age or older?
•Subsidized (based on age only, not on income) $4.00 per meal
•Unsubsidized $6.00

Under the age of 60?
•$7.00 per meal

•Side Salad $3.00
•Ice Cream $1.50
•Baked Good $1.50

Health Department

Saline County Health Department does not provide funding directly; however, grant funding opportunities can be found at

We do require appointments to ensure that we have adequate time to give needed vaccines and documentation. 

Yes, we have the yellow fever vaccine and other travel vaccines in stock. Please call (785) 826-6602 to schedule an appointment with the foreign travel nurse. 

We accept BCBS of KS, Aetna, County UMR and Kancare. 

The first step is to attend a Child Care Orientation class at the Saline County Health Department. Those classes are usually held twice a month. Please contact us at (785) 826-6600 ext. 7296 to enroll. 

  • If you believe someone to be in immediate danger, please call 911.  
  • To report a concern about a licensed or unlicensed child care facility please call us at (785) 826-6600 ext. 7318 or 7296. You can also file a concern online by clicking here
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect please call (800) 922-5330. 

Please contact our office at (785) 826-6606 to inquire about establishing services.

You need to have all your vaccines completed at least 2 weeks prior to travel. There may be more than one round of vaccines needed, so please call as soon as you know you will be going out of the country. 

There is no limit to the number of home health visits you can receive as long as there is a qualified need and the patient remains under the care of a physician. 

Please call your WIC representative to discuss available options. 

We do our best to connect our patients with resources in the community and provide care for each of our patient's needs without the expectation of payment.  

  • Medicare 
  • Medicaid  
  • Grant programs through the Area Agency on Aging (link to 
  • VA Optum (Veterans) 
  • Home Community-Based Services (HCBS) 
  • Private insurance like Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and other commercial plans. 
  • Private pay. 

There are multiple agencies in the area that provide home health services.  We stand apart from those other agencies because we believe in the primary care nursing model.  This means that a single nurse is identified as the point of contact and supervises all other disciplines during the episode of care.  We believe this creates a better bond and trusting relationship between the patient and their caregiver.  Patient care is said to be elevated by having that single nurse overseeing the delivery of care and it empowers the nurse to deploy their best bedside care.

GIS Mapping

Yes, a request for public information form will need to be filled out and signed. Purchase prices can be found HERE.

The GIS department maintains property boundaries for tax purposes only. While we strive to make our data more accurate, some areas of the county are more accurate than others. If you need to find exactly where your lines are located, we recommend contacting a surveyor.

GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems. GIS is a mapping technology that allows the user to create and interact with a variety of maps and data sources. GIS integrates databases with georeferenced spatial data (maps tied to specific known locations).

Vehicle Registration

We will not do a quote over the phone, must bring in your paperwork to enter into our system. You can go to the estimator to look up property tax estimates.

Email that will go to entire staff: [email protected]

Generally no, if the property was held jointly by husband and wife as tenants by entirety.  If and when the survivor sells or mortgages the property, he or she would record a death certificate.  There could be special circumstances such as when title is held as tenants in common that would require different handling.  You should consult your attorney.  

Main office hours are 8-5 Monday, 7:30-6 Tuesday-Friday. 

Insurance can be faxed to (785) 309-5866.

28th Judicial District Community Corrections

  • AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY ONLY (adult): (785) 819-3089
  • AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY ONLY (juvenile): (785) 829-7824

Direct UA line number: (785) 826-6579

Court costs can be paid online through the Kansas District Court Public Access Portal. Community Corrections will also accept payment of court costs by check or money order in our office. Supervision, urinalysis, and other fees due to the agency can be paid in the office by credit card, check, or money order. Community Corrections does not accept cash payments.


The Treasurers Office offers a monthly payment program. There is a one time $10 set up charge and each transaction will cost $1.00 each in addition to your monthly payment. The most common practice for this program is to make future payments prior to the new tax year posting. If your first half tax is not paid by December 20 you will be assessed a penality. Statements that are not fully paid by August 2 will be assessed an additional $16 publication fee and will be published in the Salina Journal (K.S.A.  79-2004)

The Treasurer's Office accepts Cash, Checks, Money Orders, and Credit Cards. Since our credit card system goes through the State of Kansas (Kanpay System) there is a 2.5% additional charge for all credit and debit cards.

Tax statements are mailed during the month of November for the current year. The first half payment is due by December 20th and the second half payment is due by May 10th of the following year. 

There are several methods available for paying your taxes. Please note will not allow you to make any payments past December 20th or May 10th. Please contact our office for further assistance.

Pay online using electronic check, debit or credit cards. The tax statement number and taxpayer id number are required to pay online.  This information is on the top left corner of your tax statement. Go to the following website to access the State of Kanas tax payment site to pay your taxes online www.kans  

Mail in a check or money order with the appropriate remittance stub from your tax statement. There is a return envelope included with your tax statement. To have a receipt mailed back, please check the appropriate box on the remittance stub.

Hand deliver check, money order or cash to our office at 300 W. Ash, Room 214, Salina, KS. Please bring the appropriate remittance stub from your tax statement with you to the office.

Use a debit or credit card. There are additional fees for using a debit or credit card. The fee is charged by the credit card vendor and is added to the total of your tax transactions. VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Discover cards are accepted. Please bring the appropriate remittance stub with you to the office.

 If you have any questions, please call our office at 785-309-5860 or email the Treasurer, Jim Dubois, from our Contact Us page.

No, all vehicle transactions can be done at the tag office which is located in room 210 at the City-County Building or at 2310 Planet Ave.

Anybody who fails to pay their first half property tax by December 20th will be subject to penality and interest under K.S.A. 79-2004a. The property owner will also be responsible for the payment of the whole tax. 

Under K.S.A. 79-309 any person(s) who had owned the personal property as of January 1 during the current tax year is responsible for that years whole tax. If the property was sold prior to the new tax year, it is the owners responsibilty to inform the County Appraisers Office so the property could be removed before the upcoming tax year. 

Unclaimed property consists of many types of intangible personal property held by the State that has been unclaimed by its rightful owner. Common types of unclaimed property include: 

  • Inactive savings and checking accounts
  • Uncashed checks
  • Stock shared, bond, and dividend checks
  • Insurance proceeds
  • Wages
  • Mineral royalties 
  • Utility deposits
  • Safe deposit box contents

All businesses, as well as State and local governments, who have held properties for a specified time and were not able to locate the rightful owner, notify the State of unclaimed property.

Once unclaimed property is turned over to the State the State serves as a permanent custodian of the property until the rightful owner is found.  All money is held in the State general fund for the benefit of all citizens of Kansas.

The State Treasurer is committed to actively seeking the rightful owners of unclaimed property by public notice and special events, such as television telethons.

No fees are assessed to reclaim unclaimed property.  If the State is holding your property, you do not have to pay a fee or service charge to reclaim it.  If you are contacted by any individual or firm offering to return unclaimed property to you for a fee, be aware that you can claim the property yourself directly from the State Treasurer at no charge to anyone.

You may research unclaimed property for yourself or a family member by doing one of the following: 

  • Visit the State Treasurer's website at:
  • Call the State at 1-800-432-0386
  • Or write to: Kansas State Treasurer at Unclaimed Property Division, 900 SW Jackson, Suite 201 Topeka, KS 66612-0386

Clinic Services

We do require appointments to ensure that we have adequate time to give needed vaccines and documentation.

Yes, we do have fees for our services. We accept Blue Cross Blue Shield, Commercial Aetna, UMR, United Health Care of Utah, AmBetter, and all Kancare Insurances.

Children without insurance can receive Immunizations for $20 per shot. 

STI testing/treatment is usually between $30-$60 but can cost up to $90.  

Our Family Planning program is based on a sliding fee scale if you don’t have insurance. Please know your household income along with the number of people in the household when you come to your appointment.  

We do accept cash, most cards, or checks (along with donations).

Yes. The hours are Mon, Tues, Wed, and Fri between 8 am-3 pm. No appointment necessary. Must come back 48-72 hours later to have the results read. The cost is $23 if you are self-pay.  

We do not provide wellness checks or physicals. We recommend calling your Doctors office .

We do provide Immunizations for all ages as well as for foreign travel purposes. Please call (785) 826-6602 to make an appointment or talk to a nurse if you have questions or are in need of your Immunization records. 

Yes, we have the yellow fever vaccine and other travel vaccines in stock. Please call (785) 826-6602 to schedule an appointment with the foreign travel nurse. 

We accept BCBS of KS, Aetna, County UMR, and Kancare.

We require appointments for all services except TB Skin Tests that can be done on a walk-in basis.  

You need to have all your vaccines completed at least 2 weeks prior to travel. There may be more than one round of vaccines needed, so please call as soon as you know you will be going out of the country.

Maternal and Child Health Services

Not exactly. While our in person and in home visits are for Saline County residents, we are happy to meet via zoom with anyone who does not have that particular service available through an MCH program with their home county health department. In addition, we have collaborated with several outlying counties to assist in the facilitation of prenatal education virtually and referral of home visits received through hospital consents.

Your local physician should be able to help you make contact with us, or you can reach out by simply clicking on one of the links and filling out the information. 

We will contact you from there.

 Our staff regularly visit our local birth center to collect consents for contact when you deliver your baby.

 It is one of the many papers that you will sign when you check in to have your baby. 

If you consent,  after the baby is born, we may come in to your room and ask you if you would be interested in any services we have to offer. 

If we happen to miss you, don't worry! We always reach out via text or call. As long as you selected "Yes" on your consent form, we will get in touch.

 Anyone interested in our services can click on the links found on this page to sign up or contact us at (785) 826-6600 ext.7334,7326, or 7323 (for Spanish).

All services are provided at no cost to the participant.

Child Care Licensing 

1. Licensing for home-based child care is not required when:

  • Child care is provided for not more than two children unrelated to the provider for 20 hours a week or less and the home has not been closed as a result of enforcement action. Total time is determined by adding the hours each child is in care per week.
  • Irregular child care is arranged between friends and/or neighbors on an exchange basis.
  • Child care is provided in the child’s own home.
  • Child care is provided in the home of the child’s relative.

All potential child care professionals must attend a child care licensing orientation prior to applying for a license. At the orientation the application process, regulations and requirements and business practices will be reviewed. Orientation classes are free and held at the Saline County Health Department. Please call the Child Care Licensing Program for more information. (785) 826-6600

To report a child care concern regarding licensing standards and direct care provided to children in Saline, Ottawa, or McPherson Counties, please contact the Child Care Licensing Program at the Saline County Health Department. (785) 826-6600

Expo Center

We are open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday - Friday

To rent any of our buildings you'll need to present a declaration page or certificate of insurance with the following requirements:

Renter shall procure and maintain policies of insurance issued by companies authorized to do business in the State of Kansas as follows:

  • Minimum policy limits of $500,000 for injuries, including death sustained by one person.
  • Minimum of $500,000 for injuries, including death, to two or more persons.
  • Minimum of $100,000 for property damage; the term of such coverage to coincide with the dates of this agreement including move-in and move-out.

Before entering into possession under the terms and provisions of the rental agreement, the Renter shall provide current certificates of insurance designating Saline County and its officers, agents, and employees as insureds under the aforesaid policies for the term of this rental agreement.  In addition, if alcohol is allowed as part of Renter’s event, the Renter shall provide written verification from Renter’s insurance carrier that said carrier acknowledges that alcohol will be allowed as part of the event and that Renter’s insurance will cover any and all claims arising out of or related to the utilization of the premises by Renter.

Please visit our Rental Facilities page to learn more, or call us at (785) 826-6532. 

Our address is: 900 Greely Ave, Salina, KS 67401 ​
Driving directions:

  • From I-70 take exit #253 Ohio Street, turn South, and travel 3.25 miles (approximately) to Greeley Ave stoplight. Turn West on Greeley. When you come to a stop sign you will see our Livestock and Expo sign. 
  • From I-35, take exit 89 Schilling Road, and turn East on Schilling Road, take a left (north) onto Ohio Street, travel 3.25 miles (approximately) to Greeley Ave stoplight. Turn West on Greeley Ave. When you come to a stop sign you will see our Livestock and Expo sign. 


Call our office at (785) 309-5800. 

Neighborhood Services Room 205 phone number: (785) 309-5720

City & County Planning/Zoning Room 209 phone number: (785) 309-5813

If it's related to Real Estate taxes call the Treasurer's office at (785) 309-5860. 

If it's related to Personal Property, please call our office at (785) 309-5800. 

Complete a request for information in the appraiser’s office and provide any bills of sale, titles, manufacturer’s statements of origin (MSO/MCO), or any other documentation detailing what the item is and the purchase price for the said item. Our office will only make copies of the original paperwork. We do not keep the originals.

Go to Room 210 to title and/or tag item

NOTE: This includes boat trailers that are under 2000lbs.

NOTE: There are other steps that will need to be completed if the title of the item is from another state

For boats and jet skis specifically, go to Room 215 to start the process in getting brand new KA numbers or to change the KA Numbers into the new owner’s name

Building Authority

Call the superintendent at (785) 309-5805 to complete a form.

Register of Deeds

Yes.  All documents recorded in our office are of public record with the exception of Military Discharge Papers (DD214).

General information can be obtained by phone, but for more detailed information you should come into the office or contact a title searcher or attorney.  Our responsibility is only for recording, reproducing, and indexing recordable documents.  

Yes, however, it is usually a good idea to have someone with certain expertise in the field, such as an attorney, prepare it for you to make sure it is done properly.

Yes.  It is a good idea to record it so if it is ever lost or destroyed you can obtain a certified copy free of charge from our office.  Military discharge records are not available for the public to view. Only the veteran or a qualified family member may inspect their discharge records.

No.  Professional title examiners use records in various locations to determine if the title is good and clear.

We can provide the last deed of record. Please call (785) 309-5855 or email us directly for more details.

Your deed should have a legal description of the boundaries of your property, but you may need a surveyor to use this information to locate the property lines and place markers on the land.

Our records are by legal description.  If you want to know who owns a certain lot, we can look that up for you or you can go to Saline Parcel Search and search by name or address.  This is the appraiser’s site and is updated regularly but during certain times of year, there is a delay.  You may also search our web service that is by subscription at

If you are needing a copy of your or someone else's deed, please use contact us with your request. If it's not your property we do require a copy fee.

A new deed must be prepared showing the change and then recorded in our office.

Our records begin in 1863 with our first recorded registry.

The Recorder’s Office will return original documents, in most cases, to the party that presented them for recording within 3 days.  

With Saline County offering PFA at no charge, your name will remain on the notification list indefinitely.

You may visit us in person at the Saline County Register of Deeds Office at 300 West Ash, Room 212, Salina, KS  67401, or you may call us at 785-309-5855 to request a fax, Email or regular mail.  If you wish to research online, go to and subscribe for a small amount of time.  

A deed should be delivered to you shortly after the purchase of the property.  After the mortgage is paid, a mortgage satisfaction is usually sent from your lending institution to our office noting the mortgage is satisfied.

Saline County offers this FREE of charge to Saline County Residents.

It is highly recommended that you enter only the first letter of your first name in the first name field. For example, with a name such as Steve, Stephen, or Steven, you may wish to enter the letter “S” in the first name field. Or you may wish to enter the first few letters of your first name to limit the number of first name matches. For example, if the letters “St” are entered, a name match may result for the names Steven, Stan, Stacy, Sterling, etc.

To illustrate, let’s use the last name “Van Buren” as our example. This name may at times be spelled with a space in it (“Van Buren”) and at other times with no space (“VanBuren”). For cases like this, it is highly recommended that you make two separate subscription entries with both name variations. For the Property Fraud Alert system to work as intended, and for notification alerts to be sent, the last name spelling, or business name spelling of the subscription name must match exactly.

It is very possible to receive an alert that may actually pertain to another individual with the same last name (and first name) as you. Again, make sure you enter the last name spelling exactly.

It is imperative that you DO NOT enter the suffix of your name (Jr.,Sr., etc.) while entering your name into the subscription form. Only enter your first name information into the first name field and your last name information into the last name field. The same logic applies with middle names; DO NOT enter a middle name (or middle initial) into the first or last name fields.

For those counties in which PFA is a no-charge service, you can simply go to the PFA website and enter your new data information. For those counties where a subscription fee is required, please email [email protected] or phone 1-800-728-3858 and request the appropriate data change.

Property Fraud Alert is a notification service that alerts subscribers (via email or phone contact) each time a document is recorded with their name on it in the participating County Land Records office. The subscriber must select one method of notification, either an email address or a phone number.

If you are looking for more information as to who is a property owner for a specific property, please use the general contact form to submit your request, or email us directly.

In order to better serve you, we started entering data on ALL deeds into the computer prior to 1995. You do not need to worry. If you still have concerns, please call us at 785-309-5855

For your protection and accurate permanent records, all documents are electronically imaged and the original is retained until the indexes, records and images are verified and proofed and transferred in the County Clerks office.

Outdoor Warning Sirens

Outdoor warning sirens are an effective method of outdoor notification. Winds, rain, hail, thunder, air conditioning and other conditions can cause the sirens not to be heard indoors (even if sirens are heard indoors during tests). This is why is it important to have more than one way to receive watch and warning information.

If the outdoor warning sirens are heard anytime other than the scheduled test days, seek shelter and tune in to local radio, television, or your NOAA weather radio for instructions and information. Do not call 911 to ask for instructions!

It is important to remember that any thunderstorm can produce a tornado with little or no warning. When a tornado warning is issued or you hear the outdoor warning sirens, take the following immediate safety precautions.

In homes or small buildings: Go to a pre-designated safe area such as the basement (if available) or to an interior room on the lowest level, such as a closet or bathroom away from windows, doors, and outside walls. Upper floors are unsafe. If there is no time to descend, go to a closet, a small room with strong walls, or an inside hallway. Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Get under a sturdy protection (heavy table or work bench), cover yourself with some sort of thick padding, and use your arms or a helmet to cover your head and neck to protect against flying debris.

In schools, hospitals, factories, or shopping centers: Go to interior rooms and halls on the lowest level. Stay away from glass enclosed places or areas with wide-span roofs such as auditoriums and warehouses. Crouch down and cover your head and neck. Centrally located stairwells are good shelter.

In cars or mobile homes: ABANDON THEM IMMEDIATELY! Most deaths occur in cars and mobile homes. If you are in either of those locations, leave them and go to a substantial structure or designated tornado shelter.

If no suitable structure is nearby: Lie flat in the nearest ditch or depression and use your hands to cover your head. Be alert for flash floods!

Saline County has several outdoor warning sirens that are located in the incorporated areas of Saline County to include the cities of Assaria, Brookville, Falun, Gypsum, Kipp, New Cambria, Salina and Smolan. The outdoor warning siren system is an effective method of outdoor notification, but Saline County Emergency Management recommends a duplication of ways to receive warnings and notifications. In other words, it is best to have more than one way to be warned of potential dangers. Warning and notification can be received by monitoring the following:

  • NOAA Weather Radios
  • Internet
  • Cell phone applications
  • Local Media Outlets (Television and Radio)
  • Sky Conditions
  • Outdoor Warning Sirens

Developed as an early warning system of severe weather to persons outdoors, the system should not be relied upon for early warning to individuals indoors. Air-conditioning, thunder, wind, rain, and other conditions can cause the sirens not to be heard indoors (even if sirens can be heard indoors during tests). Sirens are also subject to equipment malfunction as well as failure due to damage from lightning strikes. This is another reason to have numerous ways to receive warning and notification. Furthermore, sirens do not provide any information concerning the type of threat or exact location of the potential danger. For this reason, if you are outdoors and hear a siren, you should seek shelter immediately as the threat may be in your immediate area.

There is a NO "all-clear" siren. Listen to a battery-powered NOAA All Hazard Radios or tune in to a local radio or television station for updated information and to determine when conditions are safe.

The outdoor warning sirens for any or all of the cities in Saline County are activated when the National Weather Service issues a "Tornado Warning" or when a local determination is made that a tornado threat to the area exists.

This determination is made by Saline County Emergency Management staff and will be based on the evaluation of all available information. This may include, but is not limited to, National Weather Service watch and/or warning text, weather radar and reports from trained weather spotters or law enforcement officers.

The emergency management on-call duty officer makes the decision to activate the sirens. If no such person is on duty or that person is not immediately available, the jurisdictional senior law enforcement officer on duty or fire department chief on duty will make the decision and order that 911 Emergency Communications Center staff activate the sirens.

The sirens are activated from the Emergency Management Operations Center or by the 911Emergency Communications Center by computer or encoder.

Except for the monthly tests, the outdoor warning sirens are used to signal a "take cover" warning.

The outdoor warning sirens will be tested on a regular basis. The test will occur at 4:00pm on the first Monday of each month, weather permitting. If the weather is not suitable for testing the sirens, the test is moved to the 2nd Monday of the month at 4:00pm.

Environmental Health

The sewage from the home enters the lagoon on the bottom. The solids stay on the bottom and become sludge. Algae, a microscopic plant that lives in the lagoon, works with carbon dioxide and sunlight to produce oxygen. Other microorganisms use this oxygen to digest the sewage. This is why sunlight and good wind action are essential for a lagoon to work properly. Trees must be cleared around a lagoon for this reason. The lagoon should also be mowed frequently to make sure the lagoon gets plenty of sun and wind.

When a septic tank is old and isn’t going to be removed, it should be pumped then filled with concrete.

Not all mold that’s black is the extremely harmful type of mold.  Saline County Environmental Health does not test mold or remove it.  We do have some links to information which you may find helpful in the education section.  You can look online for a contractor who is licensed to treat or remove mold.

A lagoon is a small pond that receives wastewater from a home for treatment. The lagoon is three to five feet in depth and the size is determined by the number of bedrooms in a home. A lagoon works to treat domestic sewage by a biological process.

A properly built and maintained lagoon should have little to no odor. The lagoon may “turn over” in the spring and in the fall and have some odor for a few days. If the lagoon has an odor at other times there may be another problem. If a lot of leaves fall into the lagoon, they can cause the lagoon to smell. When the leaves begin to decompose they produce tannic acid which lowers the pH of the lagoon. This kills the algae and upsets the biological process that is treating the sewage. If this occurs, trim or cut the trees that are causing the leaves to fall into the lagoon. The water in the lagoon can be treated with 2 pounds of ammonium or sodium nitrate per day until the odor dissipates. Odors can also be caused when something is put down the sewer that upsets the natural process in the lagoon such as a large amount of chemicals or lack of sunlight as in extended cloudy weather.

If the home has a garbage disposal, it is best to have a properly sized and constructed septic tank preceding the lagoon. The tank should have at least 1000 gallons of capacity. This will reduce the fats and solids that will overload the lagoon.

The lagoon should be filled with water prior to operation. No additives will be necessary to start the biological process. The bacteria from the sewage will be sufficient for this.

The lagoon banks and area around the lagoon will need to be kept mowed and free of trees. The banks should be mowed to the water’s edge. This will prevent tall grass from drooping into the lagoon where it provides mosquito breeding areas and could contribute to premature filling. Mowing debris should not enter the lagoon.

Remove trees within 50 feet of the lagoon to keep leaf debris from entering, avoid shading the surface and help control tree roots. Remove any other vegetation or trees which shade the lagoon, especially during the winter months. Watch for damage to the banks, especially from burrowing animals. Repair any damage immediately and reseed with grass as needed. Remove cattails and other vegetation including duckweed and floating algae masses from the lagoon immediately to minimize mosquito breeding and excess organic loading and to improve oxygen transfer. To help reduce damage to the banks, keep the fence in good repair so animals cannot get on the banks.

A new septic permit is required any time there is a change to your Septic system, for example, adding lateral lines or putting in a new tank.

Saline Co. Environmental Services does some water testing for a fee. The Central Kansas Extension Agency, which is located on campus at K-State also does some water testing, along with several privately owned companies.

When a property has a septic system and/or a well it’s a protection for both the buyer and the seller to have that inspection completed to ensure the workability and stability of the system. 

Real Estate Property

State law requires the County Appraiser to view and inspect the exterior of all the property in the county every six years. First, the appraiser will attempt to interview the property owner. If the owner is unavailable the appraiser will leave a door hanger. Then an exterior inspection is done. The appraiser will look for changes such as a room addition or the construction of a deck, verify the dimensions, check for structural damage, and determine the property's general condition.

You can visit or call the County Appraiser's Office to review information on similar sales and verify that the information the appraiser's office has on your property is correct. If a neighbor has a similar house for sale, the sale price may also give you an indication of the value of your house.

When valuing your home, the appraiser reviews the age, quality, location, condition, style, and size of your property. The appraiser then uses one or more of the following three methods to value your property:
  • The Market Approach: sales of similar properties are compared to each other. The appraiser then adjusts for differences (for example, one house may have more square footage than another). This method works well for valuing homes.
  • The Cost Approach: age and what it would cost to replace your home are taken into consideration. This approach works well for new and unique properties.
  • The Income Approach: in simple terms, income from rent is used to value property. This method works well for income-producing properties (for example, apartment buildings and malls).

If your property value goes up, it does not necessarily mean you will pay more taxes. Likewise, if your property value goes down or does not change, it does not automatically mean you will pay less or the same amount of taxes. Changes in property values do not change the amount of tax dollars needed for local public services.

Not necessarily. One sale by itself does not determine market value. The price you paid for your home is first verified by the County Appraiser and then pooled with sales of similar homes. The appraiser uses this information to value your home. Also, market conditions may have changed in the last year.

There are two opportunities to have the value of your home reviewed:
  • You may appeal the "Notice of Value' of your home that is mailed to you in the spring by contacting the County Appraiser's Office by phone or in writing within 30 days of the mailing date of the notice. More information is available at the State Property Valuation Division's website - A Guide to the Property Valuation Appeal Process - Equalization Appeals

  • You may file a "Payment under Protest" form with the County Treasurer at the time you pay your taxes. If an escrow or tax service agent pays your property taxes, then protest no later than January 31 of the following year. More information is available in the State Property Valuation Division's website - A Guide to the Property Valuation Appeal Process - Payment Under Protest

By law, the County Appraiser is responsible for listing and valuing property in a uniform and equal manner. The County Appraiser's Office does not create value. People determine value by their transactions in the market place. The County Appraiser's Office simply has the legal responsibility to analyze those transactions and appraise all properties based upon what is happening in the market place. The amount of taxes you pay depends on the budgets set in August by your city and county governments.

The County Appraiser appraises your home at "fair market value" as it exists on the first day of January each year. Fair market value is the amount of money a well-informed buyer would pay and a well­ informed seller would accept for property in an open and competitive market, without undue compulsion.

The "Notice of Value' on your home should be mailed by March 1, unless the county appraiser gets an extension. Please contact the County Appraiser for more information by March 1.

Your property tax dollars are used by city and county governments to provide funding for roads, parks, fire protection, police protection, public schools, and other local services.

The value of your property may change each year - it depends on several things. If you make improvements to your home, such as adding a garage, the value may go up. The value may also go up or down because of recent sales in your neighborhood. The county appraiser continually updates sales prices and other information on homes all over the county.

Personal Property

By law, the County Appraiser must appraise all taxable personal property using publications and valuation guidelines prescibed by the State Division of Property Valuation.

There are two methods available for property owners to challenge or "appeal" their personal property values.

The property owner can appeal the "Notice of Value" by contacting the County Appraiser's Office by May 15th to schedule an informal meeting with an appraiser.


The property owner can file a "Payment Under Protest" with the County Treasurer at the time the tax is paid.  If all the tax is paid prior to December 20th, the protest may be filed no later than December 20th.

Note: A taxpayer cannot appeal the "Notice of Value" and "Pay Under Protest" for the same property for the same tax year.

Before or during the informal hearing, the property owner should review the Personal Property Assessment Form for accuracy of property information. The appraiser can demonstrate how the appraised value of the property was determined. Information and documentation to support what the owner believes the property is worth should be presented by the property owner. The appraiser will review and evaluate all information and documentation presented at the hearing. A “hearing result letter” with the appraiser’s final determination of value will be mailed to the property owner. If not satisfied with the appraiser’s final determination of value, the property owner may further appeal to the Kansas Board of Tax Appeals. 

The personal property "Notice of Value" is sent to the property owner by May 1 each year.

Tax dollars are used by local government to provide funding for roads, parks, fire protection, police protection, public school districts, health and other services. 


Yes. Call (785) 826-6603 for assistance and ask for Spanish services. 

To make an appointment to discuss your options and eligibility or to get a referral please call (786) 826-6603. All information provided is confidential. WIC is an equal opportunity provider. 

After determining eligibility, we will issue a WIC benefits card along with education on using WIC benefits. During the appointment, we will check height and weight and sometimes, a hemoglobin check. There will be a brief review of the food you eat, medical history, and current health status to determine any medical or nutritional needs. This is general expectations. We are happy to answer any nutritional or program questions or concerns that you may have.  

  • Proof of identity for adult.
  • Proof of identity for a child. Examples include, a birth certificate or birth confirmation letter for newborns, KanCare card, social security, foster care papers, and shot records. Call for more options. 
  • Proof of residency, for example a rent receipt, mail, or utility bills within the last 30 days. 
  • Proof of household income within the last 30 days for all people living in the home- Medicaid card, pay stubs, SRS benefit letter, or income tax records (self-employed only). 

HIV Case Management

Contact Case Management to apply for Ryan White medication financial assistance.

Contact your Case Manager to see if you qualify for HOPWA assistance.

Contact Case Management to enroll in the Ryan White AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP).

Contact Case Management to find a provider who takes your insurance coverage or is a Ryan White Provider.

Our hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. However, alternative appointment times can be arranged with advanced notice. 

Burn Permits

If you are not currently receiving our Burn Notification Emails regarding the current conditions for controlled burning please enroll in our email program. Sign Up Today!

Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)

The LEPC is a product of federal legislation that was passed after the Bhopal disaster in India, where thousands of people died because of an accident involving an accidental release of a hazardous chemical.  To prevent similar occurrences in our own communities, Congress passed the Emergency Planning an dCommunity Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA).  LEPC's work to understand th hazards in the community, develop emergency plans in case of an accidental release or natural disaster.  The role of LEPC's is to form a partnership between local governments and industry to enhance all-hazards preparedness.  LEPC's are crucial to community right-to-know programs and all-hazards planning.

Meetings are held quarterly and are open to the public. Please check the calendar for meeting times and locations.

The LEPC has membership representation from a cross section of the community.  At a minimum, the LEPC shall include representatives from the following groups or organizations:

  • Elected state or local officials
  • Firefighting
  • Transportation personnel
  • Hospital personnel
  • Broadcast and/or print media
  • Local environmental group
  • Law Enforcement
  • Emergency Management personnel
  • Emergency medical personnel
  • Health officials
  • Community groups
  • Owners and operators of covered facilities

Jail Project

The new jail is expected to consist of housing for approximately 392 inmates, with appropriate medical and special needs housing, along with increased space for rehabilitation programming, office spaces for the Sheriff’s Office and adequate parking for staff and public.

The County is still exploring options for reuse, with a preference for criminal justice uses. A facility master plan scheduled to be completed in 2022 may help further refine potential uses.

The first $74.9 million worth of bonds were issued in August 2021. These bonds were sold at a "premium," meaning the County actually netted over $81 million on the sale. The County will evaluate whether it is necessary to sell the remaining bonds authorized by voters. If this is determined to be the best course of action, it is anticipated that they will be issued in the summer of 2023.

Construction should begin in November 2021, with an estimated completion date of September 2023.

The sales tax will end once sufficient revenues are collected to pay for the bonds issued to finance jail construction. Currently, that is estimated to take around 18-20 years, but it might be sooner if sales tax revenues grow faster than projected.

The one-half percent increase in sales tax approved by voters went into effect April 1, 2021.

The County has purchased a site in North Salina with an address of 800 E. Pacific Avenue. The building will be located off of Pacific Avenue, behind the existing businesses.

Concealed Carry Permit

You can use our new feature ‘No Wait Inside Scheduler’ that will allow you to schedule an appointment online to get your concealed carry paperwork processed.

Appointments are not mandatory and you may bring all of the required paperwork to the Saline County Sheriff's Office between 8:00 am - 11:00 am or 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday, however appointments will take precedence.   You will need to be fingerprinted on the same day and will be directed where to go to get fingerprinted.  A separate appointment will be needed for fingerprints.

You must bring with you the following items:

  • A valid Kansas Driver's License or Non-Drivers Identification Card
  • Passport-type photo (approximately 2 inches by 2 inches) of an unobstructed, full frontal view of your head and shoulders, taken within 30 days of application. Your photo will not be accepted if you are wearing anything other than transparent eyeglasses
  • Certificate of Training in a form approved by the Attorney General or an affidavit from a certified instructor 
  • Personal Check, Cashier's Check or Money Order for $100.00 payable to the Attorney General's Office
  • Cashier's Check or Money Order for $32.50 payable to the Saline County Sheriff's Office
  • Completed application form

Download an application from the Attorney General's Website

Saline County Sheriff's Office, 800 E Pacific Ave, Salina, KS, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday

  • You must be a citizen of the United States, a Saline County resident, and 21 years or older;
  • Cannot suffer from a physical infirmity, which prevents the safe handling of a weapon;
  • Never been convicted or placed on diversion (including as a juvenile), for an act that constitutes a felony under Kansas law;
  • You are not subject to a restraining order issued under the Protection From Abuse Act, or under the Protection From Stalking Act
  • You are not in contempt of court in a child support proceeding
  • You have not been dishonorably discharged from military service.

During the last five years immediately preceding the date application is submitted you must not have been:

  • a mentally ill person or involuntary patient
  • committed for the abuse of a controlled substance
  • convicted or placed on diversion for an act under the provisions of the uniform controlled substance act (including as a juvenile)
  • committed for the abuse of alcohol
  • Convicted or placed on diversion two or more times for an act that constitutes a violation of Driving Under the Influence
  • Convicted or placed on diversion (including as a juvenile) for an act that constitutes a domestic violence misdemeanor
  • Convicted or placed on diversion (including as a juvenile) in this or any other location, for an act that constitutes a violation for the Criminal Use of Weapons

County Clerk & Election Office

Supervising Judge Be able to learn all aspects of the Polling Place site, supervise and assist 2-6 clerks, assign tasks to complete opening and closing procedures, and oversee all functions of the Polling Place site and handle various voting issues that may arise.



All positions will participate in opening and closing procedures at the work site in addition to the tasks listed above.

After you submit your completed voter registration application you will become a registered voter when the county election officer adds your name to the county voter registration list.

When your Voter Registration Application has been entered, a Certificate of Registration will be mailed to you. This voter ID card provides information regarding your Ward and Precinct, the location of your polling place, and your elected officials who represent you. The Certificate of Registration may not be used as an ID to vote because it does not include your photo.

You can always confirm your current voter registration information online at Voter View.

Keep your Certificate of Registration in a safe place for future reference. You may obtain a replacement certificate by asking the Election Office to send you a new one. The Election office may also issue you a new certificate if your polling place changes or you re-register.

Must be a registered voter in Saline County or a 16 or 17 year-old who is otherwise eligible to register to vote, except for not yet being of legal age. K.S.A. 25-2804(a), (b).

Not a candidate on the ballot, except precinct committeeman or committeewoman. K.S.A. 25-2804(b).

Must attend a mandatory training class. K.S.A. 25-2806

Must be available to work on Election Day from 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. or until all of the closing procedures have been completed.

Have transportation to and from work site.

All positions require that election workers meet the following criteria in order to complete the assigned tasks
  • Be able to lift 25-50lbs

  • Be able to understand, read and speak English at an 8th grade level

  • Be able to work in a busy environment for approximately 14 consecutive hours on Election Day

  • Be able to work with multiple ballot styles in an accurate and timely fashion

To register, complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) and mail it to the Election Office.

Postage is already on this card. You may obtain this card from the U.S. Embassy, your Commanding Officer, or Voting Assistance Officer.

If you are unable to obtain a copy, download and print the Federal Post Card Application. Remember to add postage to this card.

Kansas does not require the form to be notarized or witnessed.

Your application is valid for (1) calendar year. You are eligible to receive all ballots issued during the calendar year at the address you give on the FPCA. If you move or are re-assigned during any calendar year, please be sure to send a new FPCA so you can receive your ballots. Election mail cannot be forwarded. The Election Office needs your current address.

The completed FPCA may be sent by:
Mail to Saline County Election Office at PO Box 5040, Salina, KS 67402.
Fax at (785) 309-5826

For complete details see Federal Voter Assistance Program.

Clerks and Provisional Ballot Judges are paid $150 for Election Day and $25 for training.
Supervising Judges are paid $200 for Election Day and $25 for training.
Election Workers assisting in office or advance voting are paid $10/hr.

You may register (or re-register) until (21) days prior to each election. Voter registration is closed during the (21) day period before each election. Applications must be postmarked no later than the 21st day prior to any election and received in the Election Office by the 9th day before the election to be valid. Applications postmarked or received after the deadline are not entered until after the election.

Voter Registration re-opens the day following each election

All election workers are required to attend training as schedules to be qualified to work. Additional training may be provided when necessary. Training is held during the three-week period before each election. If you are assigned, you will be notified by mail for the training and Election Day assignment.

Complete a new Voter Registration Application and send it to the Election Office: If you have moved, If you have a name change, if you want to change your political party affiliation (In Kansas, the choices are Democratic, Republican, Libertarian, and Non Affiliated).

Note: Party Affiliation changes are prohibited during the period beginning June 1st and ending on or after August 31st for partisan primary elections in even-numbered years.

The Saline County Clerk can provide one free Veteran Memorial Marker

Any change to your Kansas voter registration should use a Kansas voter registration application form, which is available below.

Voter Registration Application

There are three ways to submit your application:

  1. Print out the Voter Registration Application, complete, sign, and mail or hand deliver the application to the Saline County Election Office, 300 W. Ash St, Room 215, Salina, KS 67401.
  2. Fax the completed and signed application to (785) 309-5826.
  3. Scan the completed and signed application then email to Voter Registration Coordinator

To register to vote online, you must have a valid Kansas driver's license or nondriver's identification card, as you are required to use a legal signature to complete the registration process. The online registration option uses your driver's license signature to do so. If you do not have either of these Kansas identification cards, you will need to complete a voter registration application in person. You must re-register each time you change your name, address, or party affiliation for voting, otherwise the Election Office will have outdated information.

Online Voter Registration Application can be found here:

Online: If you have a current Kansas Driver's License or Kansas Non-driver's Identification Card

In Person at:

Office Address City, State, Zip
Saline County Clerk's Office300 W Ash St, Room 215

Salina, KS 67401

Kansas Driver's License Office 2910 Arnold Ave

Salina, KS 67401

Capital Federal Savings 2550 S 9th St

Saline, KS 67401

Salina City Clerk 300 W Ash St

Salina, KS 67401

Assaria City Clerk 315 E Main StAssaria, KS 67416
Brookville City Clerk 301 N Perry St

Brookville, KS 67425

Gypsum City Clerk 521 Maple Ave

Gypsum, KS 67448

New Cambria City Clerk103 S Center St

New Cambria, KS 67470

Smolan City Clerk 320 S 3rd St

Smolan, KS 67456

Salina City Housing Authority 469 S 5th St

Salina, KS 67401

Salina Public Library 301 W Elm St

Salina, KS 67401

K-State Salina-Library 2310 Centennial Rd

Salina, KS 67401

KS Dept of Health & Environment 2501 Market Place Ste D

Salina, KS 67401

Salina Adult Education Center 2620 Centennial Rd

Salina, KS 67401

O.C.C.K. 1710 W Schilling Rd

Salina, KS 67402

Citizens State Bank & Trust 600 Maple St

Gypsum, KS 67448

Dept of Children & Families 901 Westchester Ave

Salina, KS 67401

Ell-Saline Elementary 1757 N Halstead Rd

Salina, KS 67402

Ell-Saline District Office 412 E Anderson St

Brookville, KS 67425

Saline Co. Health Dept 125 W Elm St

Salina, KS 67401

You should register if you:

  • Are a United States Citizen
  • Are (18+) or will be (18) before the next election
  • Are a resident of Saline County

  • If you have been convicted of a felony, register only after the restoration of your civil rights.

    If you are already registered to vote, you should promptly re-register if you:

  • Move within Saline County
  • Change your name
  • Want to change your party affiliation

  • Small Claims Procedure

    Any party has the right to appeal by filing a “Notice of Appeal” with the Clerk of the District Court within ten (10) days of the date judgment is entered. A filing fee of $195.00 must accompany the Notice of Appeal. A new trial will be held before a district court judge other than the judge from whom the appeal is taken. Either party may be represented by an attorney at the new trial. If you appeal but do not prevail you will be required to pay the reasonable attorney’s fee of the other party.

    You may hire an attorney to help you collect the judgment or you may attempt to collect the judgment yourself. When judgment is granted in your favor, you are given a “Judgment Debtor’s Statement of Assets” form to help in the collection process. Unless an appeal has been filed or full payment has been made within 15 days of the date of judgment, the judgment creditor may send this form to be completed:

    1. Send a copy of the journal entry of judgment and the blank “Judgment Debtor’s Statement of Assets” form to the judgment debtor.
    2. File proof of mailing with the Clerk of the District Court. The debtor has 30 days to either pay the judgment or complete the “Judgment Debtor’s Statement of Assets” form and return it to the creditor. 

    If the debtor does not pay the judgment or return the statement, the creditor may request that the debtor be called into court to show cause why he or she should not be punished for contempt of court. The Clerk of the District Court has a form for this procedure that you will need to complete.

    To file a case, you must fill out a petition which states your name and address, the name and address of the person you are suing, the amount of money you claim or the property you seek to have returned to you, and the reasons you are asking for the money or property.

    Your petition must be filed in the office of the Clerk of the District Court. When you go to the clerk’s office to file your petition, you should bring with you the required filing fee and you should know the following information:

    1. The exact amount you want to recover, including interest you claim is owed.
    2. The exact description of property you seek to recover.
    3. The name and address of the person you are suing, or if a business, the exact name and address of the owner of the business.
    4. A description of the incident or event which gave rise to your claim.

    If you decide to use the small claims procedure, you may obtain forms form the Clerk of the District Court. You may fill out the petition and summons at the clerk’s office or you may take the forms home to complete and file later. The petition must be typed or printed legibly. You will be charged for copying expenses if any insufficient numbers of copies are furnished.

    The sheriff must be able to locate the person to be sued so he or she can be legally served with the summons to appear in court. It is your responsibility to provide the correct addresses on the forms.

    *The court will only have jurisdiction to hear the case if the defendant is actually served.

    The filing fee will NOT be refunded even if service is not obtained.

    Claims may not be greater than $10,000.00, plus interest, costs, and any special damages or penalties provided by law.

    A trial date will be set at the time the petition is filed. The sheriff will attempt to serve the defendant at the address you’ve provided on your petition and summons. If the defendant cannot be located, the trial will be canceled. If you subsequently find another address where the defendant may be served, you must fill out an alias summons (second summons) and the sheriff will then try to serve the defendant again

    If you are sued and you agree that you owe the other party money or property, you may pay what you owe or return the property and you will not have to appear in court. Be sure that the court is notified in writing of any settlement of the suit. If you do not settle the claim against you before the trial date, you must appear in court at the scheduled time or the judge can rule against you. If the judge rules against you, you will have a legal obligation to pay what the judge orders you to pay. However, you may appeal the judge’s decision.

    If you have a claim against the plaintiff in connection with the same matter, you may file a counterclaim. You may do this by filling out the “defendant’s claim” form that comes with the summons and return it to the office of the Clerk of the District Court as soon as possible. You may be responsible for additional court costs if your claim is more than the amount authorized for the original filing fee.

    The Filing Fee for a claim of $500.00 or less is $47.50 + $15.00 (Sheriff’s service fee) = $62.50

    The Filing Fee for a claim of $500.01 or more is $67.50 + $15.00 (Sheriff’s service fee) = $82.50

    The Sheriff’s office charges a $15.00 process fee for serving court documents, including summonses, orders of garnishment, and orders in aid of execution. The processing fee should be paid by check or cash equivalency, payable to the Saline/Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office.

    If you have a complex case or one that involves a claim of more than $10,000.00 you may wish to consult an attorney about the other forms of legal action. An attorney can tell you what these other actions will cost and can help you decide what course is best for you.

    If the defendant pays your claim before the trial, you must notify the court in person or in writing. A dismissal form will be sent to you and you must sign and return it to the court.

    If you are suing a Kansas resident, you may file your case in the district court of the county in which:

    1. The defendant lives;
    2. You live, if defendant is served there;*
    3. The defendant works, if defendant is served there;*
    4. The property to be recovered is located if the action is to recover the possession of property;
    5. The estate of a decedent is being probated if:
          a. The decedent would have been a co-defendant, and
          b. A claim has been duly exhibited in the probate proceeding;
    6. The cause of action about which you are suing occurred if the defendant resided in that county when the cause of action arose. If you are suing a Kansas corporation or a foreign corporation qualified to do business in Kansas, you may file your case in the district court of the county in which:
          a. The defendant has a registered office;
          b. The defendant is doing business at the time the suit is filed;
          c. The county where the incident about which you are suing occurred;
          d. The property to be recovered is located if the action is to recover the possession of property.  If you are suing someone who does not reside in Kansas or a corporation not qualified to do business in this state, you may file your case in the district court of the county in which:
              a. You live;
              b. The defendant can be and is served;*
              c. The defendant is doing business at the time your case is filed;
              d. The property to be recovered is located if the action is to recover the possession of property;
              e. The defendant has property; or
              f. The incident about which you are suing occurred.

    You may sue any person or business you believe owes you money or property except a state or other governmental unit.

    You must be 18 years of age to file, or it may be filed on behalf of a minor by an adult representative. Any business other than collection agencies may use small claims court. No one can file more than twenty (20) cases during one calendar year (January 1 – December 31).

    Fire Districts

    YES!  Volunteering is one of the best ways to get the necessary training and experience to be an attractive candidate for a career firefighting position.  Most of the Rural Fire Departments will also assist with paying for training/certifications as long as you commit to the department for a specified amount of time.

    Rural Fire Departments in Saline County, with the exception of Fire District #6, have EMT First Responder programs that are run under the assistance of Salina EMS. 

    Volunteer firefighters do not get paid, but they can get reimbursed.  Reimbursement is usually a small amount of money for time spent responding to calls and training.  The amount is at the discretion of the department Board of Trustees.

    Volunteer firefighting is a very rewarding and valuable way to serve your community.  It takes dedication and many hours of training to become a firefighter.  If you're willing to put in the time and effort, there is a departmen ready for you to serve.  Be sure you're ready to commit then contact your local Rural Fire Department Chief.  An application and interview may need to take place before a department will add you to their roster.  Training will also need to be done and the length of training programs varies, but it is recommended that Firefighter 1 & 2 are completed through Saline County.

    Contact your local Rural Fire Department Chief and express your interest in joining.

    Most of the Saline County Rural Fire Departments require that you are at least 18 years of age or older.  We do have a few districts that have Explorer programs that will allow for those under the age of 18 to serve and begin to learn more about the fire service until they reach age 18.  A strong commitment to service through training and response is absolutely necessary.

    Health Department Administration

    KDHE Office of Vital Statistics. They can be reached at (785) 296-1400 or online at Kansas based records can be requested online through the KDHE website.  

    The Kansas Department of Agriculture handles complaints related to restaurant cleanliness and lodging such as hotels. They can be reached by calling (785) 564-6767. Any illness suspected to be related to a restaurant can be reported to KDHE at 1-877-427-7317. Online reporting is available as well at  

    Saline County Environmental Services/ Planning and Zoning at (785) 309-5813. If you have been bitten or think you may have been bitten by a bat or directly exposed to a bat, please call our health department clinic at (785) 826-6602. 

    Saline County Environmental Services/ Planning and Zoning at (785) 309-5813.

    Court Services / Probation Department

    You may be eligible to be released from your term of probation early, if you have completed at least half of your term of probation, have successfully completed all given terms and conditions of probation, and are in compliance with your probation terms. You or your attorney may petition the Court for early release in these circumstances, however, the discretion lies with the Court as to whether this will be granted or denied.

    Once you have completed your term or probation successfully, a copy of your Recommendation for Release from Probation will be filed by your Court Services Officer and signed by the Judge. This will be on file with the Clerk of the District Court within 2 weeks of your probation being completed. You may request a copy of this document from the Clerk of the District Court’s Office located at 300 West Ash, Rm 307.

    K.S.A. 21-6614 allows for Expungement of certain convictions, arrest records and diversion agreements; procedure; restoration of person's right to keep and bear arms.

    You may petition the Court for expungement of your arrest and/or conviction record if you meet certain criteria. As the eligibility of obtaining an expungement is on a case by case basis, it is strongly recommended that you obtain legal advice from an attorney to see if you meet the eligibility requirements before proceeding with a petition. You may also file a petition for expungement as a Pro Se Litigant using the provided forms on the Saline County District Court website, which can be found here:

    We have had a recent change in our payment system to the Clerk of the District Court. The preferred method of payment is online. Payments are now accepted online: (A 2.39% processing fee will apply)

    You may continue to submit payments by mail to: Centralized Court Payment Center, P.O. Box 750200, Topeka, KS 66675-0200

    To pay your fines by mail with a Check or Money Order:

    Must include the county your case is in, the case number, and money order filled out correctly:
    Centralized Court Payment Center
    P.O. Box 750200
    Topeka, KS 66675-0200
    (785) 368-7070

    There are several means by which to contact your Court Services Officer. If it is an emergency, calling the Court Services Office at (785) 309-5842 is the best option. You can also report in person to request to speak with your supervising officer, or email your officer at their assigned email address which is their [email protected]

    If you have an active warrant, you can contact the Saline County Jail at (785) 826-6500 to arrange a time to turn yourself in. You may also report into the jail unscheduled if you so choose. The address for the jail is 800 E. Pacific Ave., Salina, Kansas.

    Your probation may be allowed transfer to another jurisdiction depending on certain criteria. Please contact and discuss this situation with your supervising Court Services Officer.

    If you are released from custody after 5:00 p.m. and were ordered by the Judge to report to Court Services, you must report to our office at 8:00 a.m. the following morning, if during the weekday. If you are released on a weekend, you must report to Court Services at 8:00 a.m. that following Monday morning.

    You must report any & all contact with Law Enforcement to your supervising officer within 24 hours. This should be done either in person or by telephone. If contact with Law Enforcement occurs outside of normal office hours or during the weekend, you should contact your supervising officer at 8:00 AM the following morning or at 8:00 AM on Monday proceeding a weekend.